If your current lawn mower is nearing the end of its life, it’s likely that you have started to look into your replacement options. If you haven’t had to decide between a gas and an electric mover before, you might not know which one you should invest your money in. The truth is, both options are certainly viable. Choosing one simply comes down to what your preferences are, what sort of budget you have, and the size of your lawn. There are certainly pros and cons for both electric and gas. In this post, we are going to go over both so that you can feel as though you are making the most informed decision possible once you begin the shopping process. Continue reading to learn more.
Electric Lawn Mowers
While you may not have known about electric lawnmowers until recently, the first one was actually developed in the 1930s. Many homeowners are very comfortable with gas mowers and therefore, won’t even consider an electric mower. However, we thinking this is a mistake as an electric mower comes with plenty of advantages. Let’s take a look at what some of them are.
- Easy maintenance and use. When you have an electric mower, you will eliminate the trips you used to have to take to the gas station for mower fuel. When you want to use your electric mower, you simply plug it in and you are ready to cut the grass. Additionally, electric mowers do not have spark plugs that have to be replaced and will always start with the simple pushing of a button.
- Electric lawn mowers are also extremely easy to push. As you likely know, gas lawn mowers are heavy and require you to exert a lot of energy. Not to mention what a pain it is to push a gas mower up an incline. Electric mowers are made to be lightweight enough so that anyone can use them (including your teenage son or daughter).
- You don’t need to worry about wearing earplugs or a gas mask when you mow with an electric mower. This type of mower is much quieter than their gas relatives, not to mention there are no harmful fumes being emitted that you will breathe in.
- Obviously, electric mowers need electricity in order to work. Corded electric lawn mowers need to have an outdoor outlet they can be plugged into, as well as a long extension cord so that you are able to mow the entirety of your lawn.
- Electrical mowers also cut thinner strips than gas mowers. Because the rotary blades are smaller than the gas mower’s that you are used to using, it may take more passes for you to cut the same area.
- Electric mowers rip grass out instead of cutting it cleanly because of the types of blades used on these devices.
Gas Lawn Mowers
You are probably fairly familiar with gas mowers as they are the most common type homeowners purchase. Just as there are with electric mowers, gas mowers come with their own unique set of advantages and disadvantages. Let’s discuss some of these as well.
- Gas mowers tend to cost less and be more durable than electric mowers. If you are a homeowner on a budget, it is likely more beneficial to you to purchase a gas mower and maintain it. If you take good care of your gas mower, you can be sure it will last you for many years.
- Gas mowers mow more types of grass without running out of power as they are much more powerful than electric mowers.
- When you have a gas mower, you are likely to have a much more demanding maintenance schedule as well. You have to worry about buying gas, storing gas, replacing spark plugs, and maintaining your engine over time when you own a gas mower.
- Gas mowers are a lot more difficult to maneuver than an electric mower. They are normally pretty heavy and take a lot of upper body strength to handle, especially if your lawn is not even.
- You have to deal with the noise and exhaust of a gas mower when you choose to purchase one. Plain and simple, mowing with a gas mower is not an enjoyable experience for anyone.
Hire the Professionals to Mow Your Lawn
If you are not sure which mower you want to invest in, and you would rather save the job of mowing your lawn for the professionals, you can do that as well. We know that sometimes you just don’t have the energy or the time to mow your entire lawn. Let us reassure you, that is completely normal! Contact Impeccable Landscapes in Spokane today and learn more about our lawn mowing services! We would be happy to take care of this time-consuming tasks so that you don’t have to!